Thursday 6 November 2008

Instrument from Outer Space

Amongst all the marking and preparation for the lectures I'll be teaching from next week onwards (Graphical Interfaces and AI in Games), I came across a new musical instrument, called the Tenori-On. It's probably old news to anyone working in this area but I struck me how well simplicity, dynamicity, spatial interaction and multi-touch gestures are brought together in this device. Compared to a run-of-the-mill tabletop system, it has a really low resolution but it seems to work really well, and looking at the gestures that the musician uses during the performance, it beats most tabletop systems hands-down in terms of expressiveness.

1 comment:

Michael said...

I think this is the same tool that 'Little Boots' uses to great effect on her music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cHX-znop8Q